Green Schools & Universities
Since schools and universities leave large footprints, some are aiming to become green to vastly reduce their ecological footprints, while making the educational facilities environmentally healthier for students and staff in specific and the community at large.
Green educational institutions are unique, distinct and widespread globally having the students' health at heart. They are praised to have environmental, academic, financial, and health benefits guaranteeing a healthy, comfortable and sustainable space for both, students and teachers.
In essence, parents are becoming more attentive in considering greener educational facilities before making their decisions. They would prefer a sound environment knowing their children are in the hands of a healthy surrounding.
Some of the benefits of green schools and universities:
• They cost less to operate, utilize durable materials, and greatly reduce water by (30-50%) and energy use by (30%).
• They reduce carbon emission by 35%
• They save costs on waste of 50-90%.
• They have carefully planned acoustics with abundant daylight making it easier and more comfortable for students to learn.
• They comprise clean indoor air cutting down sick days.
• They provide a wealth of hands-on learning opportunities through their innovative design.
A study of more than 2,000 California classrooms found that students in classrooms with the most daylight progressed 20% faster in math and 26% faster in reading than students in the classrooms with the least amount of natural light
Green Schools by G-Building
G Building green team (with green teachers on board) will consult schools owner and project team on location selection, adequate design taking daylight maximization, energy and water saving, and proper landscaping in mind.
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology KAUST - LEED Platinum certified
• 20 %of the total building materials recycled.
• 79 % of all construction waste generated on site was recycled and diverted from landfill.
• 53.8% of water consumption reduced.
• 24.5 %of energy cost saved.